{margin-top: 25%;)

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What is Love?

As those of you who are regular users of the Holiday Countdown iPhone app are no doubt already aware, a major American holiday is rapidly approaching on the calendar. This February 14, countless couples will celebrate Valentine’s Day with flowers, confections, and greeting cards. I, and many others, used to refer to this day as Singles Awareness Day, but for various reasons, I no longer find that necessary. How interesting it is that although nothing is known of the ancient martyrs from whom the holiday received its name, we have come to have a day devoted entirely to the celebration of love and affection. The executives at the Hallmark Corporation must be especially grateful.

“Love” is perhaps the most used, and abused, epithet in the English language. I’m sure we’ve all heard people speak of their undying love for a particular brand of shampoo, the latest technological gadget, or even sports teams. While I usually wouldn’t wish to evaluate the merits of the object of anyone’s affections (Hey, I love salads!), I think we’ll find that a consideration of the nature of true love will reveal a more significant degree of commitment is present.

My working definition of love (modified from Dave Murray) is thus: Love is the commitment of my will, energy, and resources to your needs and best interests, regardless of the cost to me. It means that love does not evaluate the worthiness of its recipients, or attach conditions to its liberality. It means that love is not a feeling, dependent upon transient emotions, but a decision and a conscious act of the will. Upon further examination, I can’t honestly say that I feel this way about a plate of lettuce greens and vegetables. But I can say, by God’s grace, that I have made this commitment to my family and those whom God brings into my experience.

A review of several verses from I Corinthians 13 yields some valuable insights. The most impressive oratory, without love, is mere cacophony. Faith and prophesy are powerless when offered from a loveless heart. Generosity, absent love, results in emptiness. Love is kind and patient, unselfish and longsuffering. Love is always supportive and loyal, hopeful and trusting. Love doesn’t keep score, or rejoice in evil. Love never fails!

As we aspire to emulate such lofty concepts, remember the example of our Divine Redeemer. We were in need – a serious need of existential proportions. Were this need not met, we would be finished. But Jesus saw, and had compassion; He devoted His will and available resources to meeting our need, even though it cost Him everything – His status, His position, and ultimately, His life. That is love, and more than anything else Valentine’s Day might recognize, it’s worth celebrating. May the same Spirit of love that drove our Savior to the cross be in us as we interact with our families, friends, and colleagues, and as we intercede for a world in need of redemption.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home