{margin-top: 25%;)

Friday, December 22, 2006

The week is o'er

So, this has been a busy week. The students have left on their Christmas break, but this is when things pick up for me accounting-wise, and stay busy until probably about mid-February.

(Important Notice Code Red Alarm Message: the next paragraph is a bit weighty on the accountant-speak. Artists, underpaid English teachers, and others of right-brained inclinations should stop reading and continue after the Sabbath is over.)

My main project this week has been the creation of a complete Balance Sheet. When I became the Treasurer of my organization about five years ago, a proper balance sheet had not been maintained for about five years, and furthermore, the balance sheet maintained for the almost 30 years prior to that was not kept according to generally accepted accounting principles. So, I have been doing a lot of research, digging for clues about certain transactions, hints about the costs of other items, and making educated inferences where details have been lost to history. The main objective has been to discover the details pertaining to the acquisition and cost of fixed assets, like land, buildings, and equipment.

This is a satisfying project to work on, professionally speaking (or, at least, it will be when I'm done!), and something that most accountants never have an opportunity to work on. Unfortunately, though, those of my alert readers that are members of my organization probably won't see the fruits of my labors until maybe almost 9 or 12 months from now, since my target date for implementation is in 2007. But, hey, now you have something to look forward to. Ha, ha!

3 Comments:

Blogger lis said...

Despite suffering from accounting allergies, I easily made it through this post, thanks to your good translation skills. Glad you're having fun...glad it's not me!

12/23/2006 02:51:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have almost (ALMOST!!) no idea what you said. You need to brake it down into smaller words for the left-brained challanged:)

12/23/2006 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger melrandall said...

Thanks for the warning at the beginning. I'm glad that this post crosses SOMEONE'S threshold of significance...

12/24/2006 12:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home