{margin-top: 25%;)

Thursday, April 26, 2007

On, on

Whew! The last two weeks or so have been busy (and continue to be so). I haven't been able to write about my adventures because I've been tied up in secret activities that are matters of national security. Last week, I traveled to Jerusalem for a clandestine meeting with the Neturei Karta movement to discuss the likelyhood of cutting off U.S. funding of their objectives in the near future. Then I traveled to Pakistan to attend, as a double agent, the quarterly board meeting of the League of Shadows. The Leage has been trying to reign in rogue member, Osama bin Laden, despite his very annoying habit of yelling, "Death to the infidels!" every few minutes during board meetings.

Ha, ha! Just kidding. If the preceding were actually true, you would be reading The New York Times.

Actually, if the truth be told, and I suppose it must, I've been teaching Personal Finance class to the Bible School. This is my first stab at teaching so I've spent many evenings developing outlines, reviewing material, and preparing activities. And, from my angle, it has gone well. We've considered the Biblical concept of stewardship and the need to exercise faith even in the administration of material things that God has "given" us. And we've taken up some nuts and bolts, too, like the development of a financial plan, reading financial statements, and, tomorrow, the federal tax return. Oooh!

Just a few more days and then I can get back to my regular full-time duties (which have been faithfully accumulating all this while), begin my second full-time job of groundskeeping, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

As if this weren't enough, earlier this week, betook by a wave of juvenile irrationality, Mary and I decided to go on Class Trip with the Bible School. With our children. All five of them. The highlight of this trip was, of course, when, on the third day, James reached his Candy and Junk Food Limit and decided to test the Emergency Code Red Alert Sick Child Response Team of the Children's Museum Staff. They did well (having daily practice, they admitted (gross!)), and we left.

Then, today was the funeral for one Dorothy A, I presume, during which I saw a few cousins and extended family members that I hadn't seen for a number of decades. Keeping in touch isn't exactly our strong point.

Also today (almost done here), Mary and Joseph left for a homeschool convention that goes through Saturday. So, having sent Jeff and Rachel with my parents to their Spring home in Maine, I suggested to the remaining children (Jonathon and James) that we stay up late, eat popcorn and candy, and watch movies.

"But we would get sick," Jonathon protested, "and our brains would stop working."
James added, "And we would have spankings to go with it."

Oh, well. On, on.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAAAAT!!! What kind of fallacies are you teaching those young influential minds? I know from personal experience that one can stay up late, watch movies and eat junk without getting sick. I have been doing just that for that past 4 months or so. It just takes careful training of the human body. I'm slowly weaning myself of sleep to a point where I no longer need it at all. Like last night, I went to bed at 3:30 and I'm fine today. It was hard the first time doing this, but now that I do 2 or 3 times a week, I don't even really miss the sleep anymore.

4/27/2007 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger Smiles said...

Ahhhh. What smart children you are raising!

4/29/2007 08:40:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home